April 25th, 2013
Your smile is unique, so your orthodontic treatment time should also be unique and customized for your special needs. In the past the average orthodontic treatment took approximately two years, but with today’s new technology and our commitment to providing the best orthodontic care in the least amount of time, we have experienced a reduction in our patients' treatment time. With the use of lighter forces, customized braces, and clear aligners, our patients experience less discomfort and shorter treatment time while achieving a great smile.
Of course, treatment time will vary depending on your specific situation. Very minor tooth movement may only take a few months to correct, while serious malocclusion (poor bite) may need more than two years to correct. Only Dr. Steiman will be able to accurately estimate the time your treatment will take. But trust us—it’ll all be worth it in the end!
Has your child or teen visited the orthodontic practice of Dr. Howard Steiman for an orthodontic consultation? If not, please give us a call and let us help him or her begin the journey to a gorgeous smile! Please feel free to contact our Ajax, ON orthodontic office, and let us know how we can help you. We look forward to working with you and your family, and giving you the right orthodontic care that makes you smile.
April 18th, 2013
The idea for Earth Day was the brainchild of Gaylord Nelson, a senator from Wisconsin. He envisioned an Earth Day that would be a kind of environmental teach-in. The first Earth Day celebration took place on April 22, 1970, and a surprising 20 million people participated on that day. Ultimately, it became the largest organized celebration in US history.
Earth Day Over the Years
Over the years, the recognition of the day, and the number of people celebrating it all over the world, turned Earth Day into an international celebration. Because it is celebrated throughout the world, it is not only the largest international environmental observation, but it is also more widely celebrated than any other environmental event in the world. Today, Earth Day is celebrated in 175 countries where over 500 million people participate in celebrations.
The Earth Day Movement
The Earth Day movement is credited with developing the idea that people should “think green”. It encouraged congress to enact laws, including one that resulted in the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency. It also inspired the passage of the Endangered Species Act.
The Five R's and Their Importance
- Reduce – Reduce by avoiding unnecessary purchases. Reduce your use of materials that wind up in landfills. Reduce the use of chemicals around your house. Reduce your use of disposable bags, plates, cups, eating utensils, and batteries.
- Reuse – Instead of using plastic bags for your groceries or purchases, bring your own reusable bags. When you go to buy coffee at Starbucks, take a travel mug so you don't have to get your coffee in a disposable paper cup. Instead of storing food in disposable refrigerator containers, buy containers that can be washed and reused. Don't use regular batteries. Whenever possible, opt for rechargeable batteries that you can reuse.
- Recycle – Most cities offer a recycling program to collect used bottles, cans, and newspapers. Recycling includes collecting recyclable materials that would otherwise be considered waste, sorting and processing recyclables into raw materials such as fibers and manufacturing raw materials into new products.
- Re-buy – Make an effort to purchase things that are made through recycling. When purchasing furniture, look for items that are made from reclaimed wood. When buying paper for kids school work, computer printer paper, holiday cards, or anything else, make a point of purchasing recycled paper products. Instead of buying clothing at full retail price, shop for second hand clothing. You will save a lot of money by doing so!
- Rethink – Rethink the way you do things so that you do them in an eco-conscious way at all times. Instead of driving to work alone, consider taking the bus or going in a carpool. Walk or ride your bike when you're only going a short distance. Plan your shopping trips and errand runs so that you can do everything on one day, and do it in a way where you can save time and gas.
Other ways to "think green" include growing your own food, composting yard waste and food scraps, or by participating in local recycling programs. Join a group like Freecycle so you can share your unneeded and unwanted possessions with people who can use them. Likewise, you'll be able to get things you need or want for free.
Earth Day teaches people that the planet belongs to everyone, so everyone is equally responsible for protecting it. Although Earth Day is an environmental celebration, our team at the orthodontic practice of Dr. Howard Steiman wants to remind you that you don't have to wait until then to make changes that will allow you and your family to live a greener life.
Happy Earth Day from the team at the orthodontic practice of Dr. Howard Steiman.
April 11th, 2013
If you have been thinking about undergoing orthodontic treatment to straighten teeth or correct jaw alignment, the first step is scheduling an orthodontic consultation. During the consultation we will actively listen to your concerns and address all of your questions, as well as discuss a treatment options that would best suit you or your child's situation.
Here are the top five questions that most patients want answered during their initial orthodontic consultation:
- Can I benefit from orthodontic treatment, and if so, how long will it take?
- How frequently will my appointments be scheduled?
- Can I expect any pain when getting braces? (Ask us about the ways we address pain management).
- Will I need to have teeth extracted, headgear, expansion appliance, etc.?
- How much will it cost and what payment options do you offer?
Visit our website for more answers to your questions prior to your initial consultation. Our team is happy to answer all your questions and concerns, and excited to explain all aspects of your treatment plan, as well as the expected outcome. We believe your orthodontic experience should be comfortable, hassle-free, and most importantly, leave you with the smile you've always wanted.
April 4th, 2013
It's springtime and it's again time to remind our patients at the orthodontic practice of Dr. Howard Steiman to protect their faces and pearly whites while out on the field playing sports. According to the National Youth Sports Safety Foundation, children, high-school athletes and adults have more than 5,000,000 teeth knocked out in sporting events annually.
If you are planning on participating in spring sports, it’s imperative to have a proper-fitting mouthguard. Mouthguards can prevent chipped or broken teeth, lip and cheek injuries, jaw fractures, mouth lacerations and even concussions.
Having a mouthguard can make the difference between losing your teeth or not, and because many of our patients who play high school sports have jaws that are still growing, last year’s mouthguard may no longer fit as it should. Dr. Steiman and our team at the orthodontic practice of Dr. Howard Steiman can fit you for a new guard.
To learn more about mouthguards or for general questions about your treatment at our Ajax, ON office, please give us a call!